Skip to main content

Soup-o-mania and the start of something I can keep up





This was purely coincidental- Harini (guest host) announcing this month's theme for the mingle and me making a soup the very same day, in  fact even before I read her or Meeta's blog that day! This soup stems from my feel-like-asian mood and no-beans-but-yay-to-pasta-please feeling. So I combined the two things that I craved for the day-


Ingredients

3 cups Vegetable broth
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups diced celery and carrots
1 head broccoli, separated as florets
chopped spring onion and parsley, for garnish (I did use a lot of these, so am not sure if I can call them "garnish")
1/2 cup soy sauce
1-2 tbsp chilli garlic sauce (depends on your taste)
a handful of tiny-weeny seashell pasta
a handful of frozen peas, thawed
salt and pepper to taste
a couple of bay leaves
1 tbsp minced ginger
Butter/oil whichever you prefer


Methdod


Add butter to a stock pot, heat it and then add the bay leaves. After a few seconds, add onions, celery and carrots and saute with a pinch of salt.
Once these veggies are tender, add soy sauce, chilli garlic sauce, rest of the veggies and the pasta
Saute them all for a few seconds, add the broth and top it off with water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Once it comes to a boil, set it at low to medium heat and forget about it for another 10-15minutes or so.

That is all folks, quite simple right!
Sit back, relax and enjoy it warm... I made quite a bit and it tasted better as it aged.
This soup is off to the mingle event this month hosted by Harini.

So the second part of this post-

When I saw that Nupur was going to tackle 40 new recipes in 40 days, I got inspired and I thought I will take on something like 25 days to New Year and end with a blast on the New Year's. But as reality hit me hard, I realized it was going to be very hard for me to keep it up because of my really terrible work hours but I am not going to give up. So consider this recipe as the first. I already have a couple more to post, so it is going to be interesting for me whether or not I keep up with this sort of a challenge! But posting might be slow.... 
Hope to hear words of encouragement from y'all.

Have a great weekend!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

  1. Hi Abhirami, my first time here and I am enjoying it a lot! Thanks for your energetic response and the wonderful bowlful:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add