Skip to main content

Kasha salad for health

I have been wanting to give whole grains a try for a long time now, so when Lisa announced this month's theme for No Croutons Required I was excited. Here is my entry for this month's event.
Greek Kasha Salad (Adapted from here, I have marked the changes made in Red)

First some introduction to Kasha- It is a porridge commonly eaten in Eastern European countries. A common misconception is that Kasha is buckwheat groats but it is actually a meal made from any ingredient such as wheat, barley and oats. For more information you can check here or here or here!

KASHA SALAD

Ingredients

1 cup dried green lentils (I used whole green moong dal)
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 cup kasha (I used buckwheat groats)
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced

1 tsp ginger, minced
1 cup water, vegetable broth
3 tablespoons oregano leaves (I used dried)
1 tomato, chopped
1/3 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used about 1/2 cup)

Fresh lemon juice (from half a lemon)

Method

Pressure cook the lentils in 2 1/2 cups of water (add the bay leaf too) along with some salt and pepepr. Once it is done, discard bay leaf and drain lentils well (I used this liquid in my pasta sauce).

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add kasha, shallots and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots are softened. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook (with the cover on) until water is almost absorbed and kasha is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add oregano, continue to simmer (again put the cover back on-just so the kasha can get cooked well) until liquid is completely absorbed, 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside, uncovered, to let cool.

Put lentils, kasha mixture, tomatoes, olives, green onions, parsley, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, salt and pepper into a large bowl and toss gently to combine. Serve at room temperature with feta cheese and lemon juice.

Judgement: I loved this salad (Great for a hot summer day)- the kasha was tender and had a bite to it so you could tell it apart from the lentils. Next time I am going to increase the amount of kasha and decrease the amount of lentils (may be try some other lentils).

Comments

  1. Thanks for this entry. Sounds like a nicely balanced salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow....that is nutritious salad.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an interesting and nutritious salad, loved it ! First time here you have a wonderful space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very interesting combination of flavors. I've all the ingredients, will give this a try. First time here.. You have a great blog. will come back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies

    Thank you all so much- I really love all your blogs and follow them quite religiously...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, in your recipe, did you use buckwheat or not? What is the "kasha" you refer to? It was missing the link to the recipe's source, so I couldn't tell. Looks fresh and ideal for a summer's day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kavitha

    Yes in my recipe, I used buckwheat groats

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Monthly mingle with fruit!

I have become a daring cook and baker ever since I started blogging- I try and incorporate different vegetables that are especially. The hardest for me was using the fall bounty-I hardly knew some of their names. But hey I am still the learner! Our last trip to the grocery store, we bought exactly one of these pretty looking fruits (this I knew the name of)- persimmon (the wise guy did not even know what it was when he picked it up!). I had it in the refrigerator for a week or so, manically googling recipes using persimmon when I hit upon this beautiful cupcake recipe from one of my favorite blogs- Cupcake Project .  The search stopped there! Recipe source here , minimally adapted Ingredients 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp baking soda ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cups sugar 2 large eggs ¾ cup persimmon pulp (the insides of 1 over-ripe persimmon) ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed orange zest (from about