Skip to main content

Christmas eve a la B



Science... never solves a problem without creating ten more- Bernard Shaw



Merry Christmas y'all!! Kinda late for that but hey the thought is what counts doesn't it? So the 24th evening we had a small get together with great people and even greater food. Lot of Japanese treats and snacks. For the main course we had Pav-bhaji, Rajma and Japanese rice (with radish, bamboo, beets and carrots- I should ask my friend for the recipe, it tasted real good!) . For dessert we had ice cream and an eggless chocolate cake.  I was aiming for a black forest cake but somehow lost my enthusiasm and made a chocolate cake with whipped cream and toasted almond topping.



Ingredients

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 can condensed milk
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1/2 cup water
a pinch of salt
1 tsp almond extract

Method

Preheat the oven to 360F.
Sift the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients (dry and wet) with half a cup of water and whisk until everything is combined.
Pour the mixture into a 6 inch cake pan (I used 7 inch and my cake was not as tall as I expected it to be) and bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove from the pan and allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.

For the topping,

1 cup heavy cream, chilled
1 tsp rose water
6 tbsp confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Whisk the cream, rose water and sugar until stiff peaks form. You can make it ahead of time and keep it refrigerated until ready to use.

Top the cooled cake with the whipped cream topping, toasted almonds and some chocolate curls (my curls were more like powdered since I used a grater!)

Judgement
It was a really good cake, and this time I did not feel the taste of wheat flour. Loved the almond-whipped cream-chocolate topping! Yummo....

Comments

  1. cake looks delicoius...will be glad if us en dthis for jingle evnt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nowadays the eggless cakes tastes better than the ones with egg.Gone are the days of gummy,chewy ones.Obviously people are coming up with better recipes.Your creation looks great, would love to get a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh .. condensed milk is such a nice touch! I can see how that must lend that wonderful, sweet and moist taste to the cake! I am going to make this and pass it on to my mil too, who always gets stuck on days that she can't eat eggs! Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Susvaad Yes I have also come to believe that eggless baked goodies can also taste good!
    @Sheetal- oh yeah, I was thinking of making for my ma too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Monthly mingle with fruit!

I have become a daring cook and baker ever since I started blogging- I try and incorporate different vegetables that are especially. The hardest for me was using the fall bounty-I hardly knew some of their names. But hey I am still the learner! Our last trip to the grocery store, we bought exactly one of these pretty looking fruits (this I knew the name of)- persimmon (the wise guy did not even know what it was when he picked it up!). I had it in the refrigerator for a week or so, manically googling recipes using persimmon when I hit upon this beautiful cupcake recipe from one of my favorite blogs- Cupcake Project .  The search stopped there! Recipe source here , minimally adapted Ingredients 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp baking soda ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cups sugar 2 large eggs ¾ cup persimmon pulp (the insides of 1 over-ripe persimmon) ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed orange zest (from about