Skip to main content

Burmese Rice #6



"There is no use trying, said Alice; one can't believe impossible things. I dare say you haven't had much practice, said the Queen. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast"- Lewis Caroll



Yes, I am getting well versed with the art of believing in impossible things. I might not be a great cook or a baker but hey, that does not stop me from doing something I love. In fact cooking is like doing experiments in the lab, they are not that different really! This is a very delicious recipe modified from here. I am not sure if it really is a Burmese dish but it does not matter, does it?! 


Ingredients


1 1/2 cups rice
1 sliced green pepper
1 1/2 cups boiled mixed vegetables (carrots, beans and green peas)
1 onion sliced
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 stick cinnamon
4 cloves
Tomato ketchup
Chilli garlic sauce
Oil for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste


To grind,
1 inch ginger
4 green chillies
3 cloves
1 small cinnamon stick
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red chilli powder


Method


Grind the ingredients listed above to a paste and add vinegar to the paste (mine was not a paste since my blender is terrible at these things, I used a mortar-pestle instead).
Marinate the sliced green peppers in the paste for about 30 min.
Heat oil in a pan and once hot, add the sugar. Once sugar melts, add cinnamon and cloves.
Saute the rice for a minute or two and transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Add enough water and salt to taste. Cook the rice. Once cooked, mix in tomato ketchup (I did not add too much of this) and chilli-garlic sauce (how much ever you like, I made mine spicy). Keep aside


Heat up more oil in the pan and saute onions until it turns golden brown.
Add all the veggies including the green peppers, more tomato ketchup and chilli-garlic sauce. (I salted and peppered mine at different stages)
Stir fry for about 5 minutes or so.


Preheat oven to 450F.
Grease a square baking dish with cooking spray. Add alternate layers of rice and veggies. 
Place the dish in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes.


Judgement


I thought it was going to come out dry but it turned out to be a flavourful rice dish that was not dry at all. Although next time I would add a teaspoon more of vinegar and marinate for a little longer because I did not really feel the vinegary green peppers.

Comments

  1. burmese rice looks delicious. perfect comfort meal for the wintry weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipe. You have wonderful collection of recipes. Following you.

    Chitchat
    http://chitchatcrossroads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ms.Chitchat-Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dish looks yummy.It would be a good party dish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add