Skip to main content

A Saturday lunch at home,

after a really long time. I forget what we usually do on Saturdays, when my mom was visiting we used to have some sort of brunch at home (the idli, dosa kind) but then I never made anything when ma was here!


Sour Sindhi kadhi, and I thought it was going to taste like the usual- boy I could not have been more wrong. A beautiful recipe I found here- the only modifications were to the veggies I added.

Ingredients

3 tbsp. Gram Flour (Besan)
3/4 cup Red Gram Lentils (Arhair Ki Dal) 
 3 medium Potatoes (each potato cut in 4 pieces
16 oz bag frozen Cauliflower 
1 green pepper, cut into big pieces 
3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
½ tsp. Turmeric Powder (Haldi) 
Salt (to taste)  
2 cups of tamarind (about 1 lemon-size ball of tamaring, pulp extracted)-tomato (2 tomatoes, pulp extracted) water (leftover from when ma made rasam)
2 tbsp. Cooking Oil 
3 cups Water

For Temepering

1 tsp. Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)  
1tsp. Onion Seeds (Kalonji)
Green Chillies (to taste) (slit lengthwise)  
1 bunch of Fresh Cilantro/Coriander Leaves(finely chopped)  
1 tsp. Mustard Seeds 
1 tsp. Cumin Seeds
1 tsp. Red Chilli Powder (or to taste)
A pinch of Asafoetida Powder 
2 tbsp. Cooking Oil
Method
Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan. Add Gram flour. And fry until it is a few shades darker & smells fragrant. Add turmeric powder, 3 cups of water and salt to taste. Keep stirring until it comes to boil. 
 
In the mean time boil the red gram lentils and whisk them properly. Add this to the kadhi. Fry the  potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and green pepper. Add the vegetables to the kadhi. Bring it to a boil, cook until all of the vegetables are done. 
 
Then add the tamarind-tomato extract  (the amount of tamarind here is more than what the original recipe calls for) and cook until it thickens a little bit.
Tempering
Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan. When oil gets hot add asafoetida powder (heeng), mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, onion seeds, red chilli powder and curry leaves. When the seeds start to splutter, pour it in the kadhi.
Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice

Judgement
Fantastic, as soon as I added the tamarind, it all came together. With the tempering, especially onion seeds, this dish was absolutely divine! And I think it tasted better as it aged... Since the hero, for me anyway was the tamarind- I am sending this to Think Spice: Think Tamarind event started by the the wonderful Sunita Bhuyan and hosted by an equally lovely Padmajha.
This beautiful dish was accompanied by a gorgeous peerkanga- thenga thuvaiyal, ma's handiwork and strawberry-orange fool for dessert

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add