Skip to main content

Red, brown-


chutneys galore...
Welcome to my world of experimentation- I am sure all of us have at some point made roasted red pepper chutney with peanuts, onions and ginger. That is what the red/orange chutney is on my photograph. The other chutney though was created in utter frustration to make and eat something totally different. Mom says "lets make sambhar and coconut chutney, goes well with idlis" and I go "nah, boring!". 
Instead here is what I came up with: Zucchini and sesame seed chutney

Ingredients

1 medium-sized zucchini, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted/browned in a little bit of oil
1-2 dried red chillies
2 tsp urad dal
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 small piece of tamarind
1 tbsp dried coconut powder
salt to taste
Oil for cooking

Method

In a pan, heat about 1tbsp of oil. Once hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal and red chillies- roast for a few seconds (TEMPERING). Take it off heat and reserve half of it- the rest goes in the blender.
In the same pan- heat another tablespoon of oil, add the onions and fry them until they become translucent. Add chopped zucchini, and cook for a few minutes after which add the coconut powder, tamarind- cook until the smell of dried coconut/copra is faded away and the tamarind is soft (should take about 5-7 minutes). Once it is all done, take it off the stove, cool for a few minutes. This mixture goes in the blender along with the browned sesame seeds and salt. 

Grind it to smooth chutney like consistency. Towards the end add the remaining mixture of the tempering and grind it such that you can still see fine pieces of the urad dal and mustard seeds (gives it a nice look)

Judgement

While I did love the flavors, think the sesame was overpowering, one tablespoon would have been enough. I liked it even more the day after it was made- the flavors mixed very well. My mom on the other hand did not like it at all! So I guess it could be a split vote on this one, try it and let me know.

Comments

  1. I like that you are thinking out of the box and creating your own. It does make one feel very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Srimathi!Not as creative as you are though, LOVE YOUR BLOG!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add