Skip to main content

Fancy-schmancy chocolate cake?


Well it tastes like a fancy-schmancy cake but it was definitely a breeze to make it especially if you own a food processor. Nigella Lawson, if I have to sum up what I feel in one sentence- love her recipes, hate her eyes-rolling, up-close camera tricks cooking show!

Ingredients 

Recipe source from Food network

Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup barley flour + whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1 stick Vegan butter + 1/2 stick soft unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup yogurt + 1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped candied orange peel (homemade)

Syrup
1 tsp cocoa 
1/2 cup water 
1/2 cup sugar
1-ounce dark chocolate (from a thick bar if possible), cut into splinters of varying thickness, for garnish

Equipment: 2-pound loaf tin (approximately 9 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 3 inches deep), lined with greased foil, pressed into the corners and with some overhang at the top.

Method

Take whatever you need out of the refrigerator so that all ingredients can come room temperature.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, putting in a baking sheet as you do so.

Put the flour, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and yogurt into the processor and process until a smooth, satiny brown batter. Scrape down with a rubber spatula and process again while pouring the boiling water down the funnel. Turn it off and stir in the chocolate chips and candied orange peel.

Scrape and pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and put into the oven, cooking for about 1 hour. When ready, the loaf will be risen and split down the middle (a toothpick will pretty well come out clean).

Not long before the cake is due out of the oven (when it has had about 45 to 50 minutes), put the syrup ingredients of cocoa, water and sugar into a small saucepan and boil for about 5 minutes (need a fairly thick syrup)

Take the cake out of the oven and sit it on a cooling rack, still in the tin, and pierce here and there with a cake tester. Pour the syrup over the cake.

Let the cake become completely cold and then slip out of its tin, removing the foil as you do so. Sprinkle the chocolate splinters over the top of the sticky surface of the cake.

Judgement

Don't be like me- impatient. Firstly I added the garnish well before the cake cooled down so we had a sauce over a sauce kind of an effect (which was fine, it tasted awesome) and secondly I even tried to cut the cake well before it had a chance to cool and ended up mostly with big crumbs- half way through cutting the warm cake, I realized I was being impatient and managed to salvage the rest of the cake. I made it for Super Bowl and it went quicker than I expected it to- I guess that says something eh? This gooey chocolate cake is off to Maison Cupcakes Forever Nigella #2 Seduced by chocolate.

Comments

  1. Fancy Schmancy is a brilliant name for a cake, I hope you enjoyed eating it during Superbowl. Thanks for sharing it with Forever Nigella!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah- love love Maison Cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cake looks so YUMMM

    I would like to thank you for linking your Lovely and Innovative salad for Innovative salads Event. Round up of the event has been publish. Hoping You will like it

    Innovative salad Event - Cucumber Round up

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Monthly mingle with fruit!

I have become a daring cook and baker ever since I started blogging- I try and incorporate different vegetables that are especially. The hardest for me was using the fall bounty-I hardly knew some of their names. But hey I am still the learner! Our last trip to the grocery store, we bought exactly one of these pretty looking fruits (this I knew the name of)- persimmon (the wise guy did not even know what it was when he picked it up!). I had it in the refrigerator for a week or so, manically googling recipes using persimmon when I hit upon this beautiful cupcake recipe from one of my favorite blogs- Cupcake Project .  The search stopped there! Recipe source here , minimally adapted Ingredients 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/2 cup whole wheat flour 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice 1 tsp baking soda ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cups sugar 2 large eggs ¾ cup persimmon pulp (the insides of 1 over-ripe persimmon) ½ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed orange zest (from about