Skip to main content

Do not underestimate

the creativity of this month's Daring Bakers challenge. By virtue of its simplicity it provides us bakers with a wide-range of opportunity to explore our creative side. Go on over to the daring kitchen site listed below to check out and vote for some amazing concoctions!

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blog Cheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

As for me, I decided to keep it simple- my edible container was a vegan mocha cupcake which I filled with this extremely light and mildly sweet maple mousse.



Vegan maple mousse


Ingredients
1 package (12 oz.) soft silken tofu
¾ cup (14 fluid oz.) pure maple syrup
2 tsp agar-agar
2 tbsp dark brown sugar

Method

Let tofu come to room temperature. Using a food processor, blender, or hand mixer, blend tofu until just smooth.

Sprinkle agar-agar on the maple syrup and let it rest for 10 minutes. Heat maple syrup on the stove to a boil and then let it simmer 5 minutes until the agar-agar has dissolved. Add the sugar and just stir until it dissolves too.

In a food processor, blender, or a large bowl, blend the tofu with the maple syrup until creamy.

Refrigerate for at least one hour. Remove from the fridge and divide among your edible containers.

Vegan Mocha Cupcakes (Source: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World)

Ingredients
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegan butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs instant coffee granules

Method

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners.

Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Once milk is curdled, add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract and whatever other extract you’re using to the almond milk and beat until foamy.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, beating until there are no large lumps. Some small lumps are OK.

Fold coffee granules into batter.

Pour into liners, filling 2/3 of the way. Bake 18-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

Cool completely on a rack.

Note:  I am sure I measured some leavening agent wrong or used the wrong kind of fat- but my cupcakes were too moist and therefore crumbling on me. I only could fill a couple for the photograph!

Judgement

If you look beyond the crumbling cupcake, you would taste an amazingly moist, extremely light (left to my own devices I could eat them all in one sitting- give me a few shows of law and order), mocha-ey cupcakes that go very well with the maple mousse (yes, I was apprehensive at first). Thanks Evelyne for this lovely challenge!

Comments

  1. Mocha and cupcakes sounds just perfect. The coffee's just right to balance out the sweetness of the mousse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is so true- the coffee just balanced the sweetness out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add