Skip to main content

Daring bakers- really really late

So here I am about 10 days late with my DB posting- I had almost everything ready to go for the Thanksgiving dinner but then Mr. Potter happened. I had seen it once before already but our friends who are both fairly new parents (a 7 mo old and a 15-month old) wanted to desperately see the movie on Thanksgiving day. And since they brought with them a beautiful mango tart- my dessert plan went out the window. The menu included- a chickpea-butternut squash pot pie, carrot-parsnip soup and beet-apple salad.
Finally I got a chance to use the pasta frolla dough that has been sitting in my refrigerator for almost 2 weeks now! Yippeee....

The 2010 November Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Simona of briciole. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make pasta frolla for a crostata. She used her own experience as a source, as well as information from Pellegrino Artusi’s Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well.




Ingredients

I used the version2 of the pasta frolla recipe, a crostata with a mixture of AP flour, almond meal and barley flour. You can check the DB website for more information on this recipe.

For filling, recipe source from Ciao Italia
1 cup long-grain rice
2 cups whole milk
3 inch piece of vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
1 pound cottage cheese, well drained
1 large eggs
1/4 cup apple sauce
1 tbsp finely ground flax seed in 1/4 cup water, beaten well
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Method

Lightly spray a 9inch pie plate with butter spray. Set aside.

I used a food processor to make the dough and well my dough was chilling for oh only about 10 days!

To prepare the filling, pour the rice and milk into a 1-quart saucepan, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the saucepan with a small knife, cover, and bring the rice to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-low and continue cooking the rice until all the milk is absorbed. Let the rice cool.

In a large bowl, beat the cottage cheese, egg, apple sauce, flax seed in water, orange juice and zest, and sugar until smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract. Fold in the cooled rice. Set the mixture aside.

Preheat the oven to 375ºF.

Divide the dough in half- I could not do this because I had enough only for the crostata, nothing for the top. Roll on a lightly floured surface into a 14-inch circle. Line the tart shell with one rolled-out half and trim the edges even with the top sides of the prepared pie plate.


Fill the tart shell with the ricotta and rice filling. There will be a little of the filling left over. This can be baked separately in a small ovenproof dish or in small ramekins.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown (well there was not top in mine) and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center of the tart.

Cool the tart on a rack, then carefully remove the sides of the tart pan and place the tart on a decorative serving dish. Cut into wedges to serve.

Judgement

I really underestimated the flavors. Going into this, I was very skeptical but now I am a believer. Especially after a day of chilling in the refrigerator and a topping of melted berry jam- it was unbelievable! Loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Puff pastry- a challenge indeed!

This challenge brought back a flood of memories, memories of McRennet or any bakery that would serve tasty vegetable puffs. I loved those and since my mom knew this she would always come home with a handful of these for an evening snack whenever she could. The bliss of biting into a warm puff pastry filled with spicy vegetable mixture is something inexplicable, you should taste it yourself to know the feeling! So when this month we were asked to tackle puff pastry as a part of the Daring Baker's Challenge, I unwittingly thought- how cool is that, I could make  my own puffs! Little did I realize that my first attempt at this challenege would result in a horrific half-baked dough in a pool of molten butter, yikes!!! "How am I ever going to have a go at it again?" I muttered to myself and for the next 30min or so could not shake myself out of this horror story. But thankfully with some talking from the WISE GUY and my own sobriety being brought back by a big bowl of icecre

Paruppu thuvaiyal- MLLA 35 entry

My mom is visiting and one of the things I ask her to make every time she visits is some form of paruppu thuvaiyal (a kind of pesto that you eat with rice, similar to chutney except a lot more thicker) This recipe uses yellow moong dal- skinned and split mung beans that are easy to digest. Ingredients 1 cup yellow moong dal 1 clove garlic 2 dried red chillies * a pinch of asaefotida (hing) 2 tbsp oil salt to taste water, minimal quantity for grinding Method Heat oil in a pan. Add the garlic, red chillies, asaefoetida- saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the yellow moong dal and roast till the dal is golden brown. Cool it down and grind with minimal amount of water. Serve with hot rice, ghee (clarified butter) and some fried papad! Judgement With the garlic and the heat from red chillies, it sort of warmed me up- exactly what I needed after kind of weather we have been put through here in the area. (I guess I cannot complain about it being cold when people dow

Noel Nut balls

Oops, I forgot to post my day 4 recipe for the marathon, I did post day 5 with the chocolate cake! Anyway barring that mistake, this would be the day 6 of the marathon and the 11th in my books (confusing numbers eh?!) Well these are yet another batch of cookies that I made to be sent to friends this year- absolutely delicious people! A success story modified from the Martha Stewart recipe for Noel Nut balls , I am beginning to like her cookie recipes... Ingredients 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup vegetable shortening 2 tbsp honey 1 tsp orange juice 2 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour 3/4 cup chopped pecans (best if chopped by hand) 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, plus more for rolling 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg 1/2 tsp clove powder Method Cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add orange juice, and beat to combine. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pecans, confectioners' sugar, and salt, nutmeg, clove powder. Add